"Houston and Playwrights’ Arena shrewdly bring their Little Women to its climax in a family Christmas scene — just in time for the holidays. And it’s good holiday fare: light, but well seasoned and pleasing." Theatre Ghost
A world premiere multicultural transposition by Velina Hasu Houston inspired by the Louisa May Alcott novel.
In 1949, Josephine Mayeda and her sisters Meg, Amy, and Beth are emerging in the midst of the history of Japanese Americans who found a place for themselves in Los Angeles’ African American neighborhoods after WWII’s forced incarceration camps.
"No matter how many stage or screen adaptations of Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women you may have seen, Little Women [a multicultural transposition] proves as uniquely fresh an interpretation as any fan could hope for. It may now be peopled entirely by characters of color, but its appeal remains universal. I couldn’t be more thankful for having seen this Thanksgiving treat." Stage Scene L.A.
"... the performances are vivid under the direction of Jon Lawrence Rivera" L.A. Observed
- Starring: Jeremiah Caleb, Jennifer Chang, Nina Harada, Karen Huie, Rif Hutton, Ken Ivy, Jacqueline Misaye, Ken Narasaki, Rosie Narasaki, Sharon Omi and Peter Pasco
- Producer: Joan Marie Hurwit
- Dramaturg: Adrian Centeno
- Scenic and Projection Designer: Irene Choi
- Lighting Designer: Derek Jones
- Sound Designer: Matt Richter
- Costume Designer: Mylette Nora
- Casting Director: Raul Clayton Staggs
- Stage Manager: Flor San Roman
- Tickets: $25 online / $30 at the door